We all know the importance of being prepared when it comes to tax season. With the Tax System becoming more and more complicated with each year, many taxpayers feel they are missing more deductions and credits.
Every year I get asked the same questions, “Mike, am I missing something on my taxes and have I gathered up everything for you properly?”
Please bring the following information to your appointment:
- All W-2’s
- 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C OR Exemption Certificate Number
- All 1099 forms received confirming income from interest, dividends, retirement, social security, disability, unemployment, etc.
- Form 5498 IRA Contribution Information
- Form 1098 – Year-end statement of mortgage interest/Real Estate Taxes
- Copies of all LLC, Partnership or S-Corporation K-1’s
- If you bought, sold or refinanced real estate, then a closing HUD statement for each transaction.
- If you sold any stock or shares of mutual funds, ask for a digital spreadsheet of transactions, we can charge you less if transactions are available like this.
- If you are claiming auto mileage as a deduction for business, rental properties or un-reimbursed employee expenses, we need to know: total miles, commuting miles & business miles driven.
- All legal documents for formation, sale or purchase of a business during the year.
- All legal documents for divorce decrees.
- All income information for children if you want us to prepare their required returns.
Sign up below to better understand some missing deductions and also receive your downloadable checklist to make sure that you grab everything that you need when you come see us or your tax professional.